Holt family page
Soldier Thomas Holt was buried in St Brelade in 1796
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Holt was an old English name for a wood, so the name suggested someone who lived in a wood, or copse.
The first baptism on record in Jersey is that of Digby Walker Holt, son of William and Frances Vesey, in St Lawrence in 1834 (no year shows in the transcription). He was followed in 1836 by Henry Irving. Their mother came to Jersey from France.
There were three Holt marriages before 1842. Soldier Samuel married Ann Sohier in 1804; Thomas married Jane Carter in 1820; and William, from Northumberland, married Betsy Mary Le Feuvre in 1840.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Arthur Alfred Holt (1900- )(Gr) son of Charles William and Evelyn, Private, Royal Warwickshire Regiment
- Bessie Elaine Holt (1902- ) (St Mt) daughter of Charles William and Evelyn, British Red Cross
- Lancelot Vere Holt, 2nd Lieutenant, RMIJ, Jersey father George Holland Holt
- Norman Charles Holt (1899- ) (Gr) son of Charles William and Evelyn, Private, Worcestershire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Holt family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Agnes Holt née Whitaker, La Pommeraie, St Saviour - 29 August 1945, D/Y/A/114
- Charles Holt, Grouville - 8 June 1937, D/Y/A/100
- Charles Holt, La Valette Farm, Grouville - 30 July 1902, D/Y/A/61
- Elizabeth Holt of St Helier, widow of Captain John Betts, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier £2, to Mary Cole, her bible, desires to be buried in the New St Saviour's Cemetery - 7 December 1866, D/Y/A/33
- George Holt, La Pommeraie, St Saviour, gentleman - 15 October 1924, D/Y/A/84
- Henry Holt, 26 Midvale Road, St Helier, bequeaths to Lucy de Carteret for life 26 Midvale Road reversion to Leighton Stewart - 29 September 1924, D/Y/A/84
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs