Huard family page
This family came to Jersey from France early in the 18th century
Charles Huard (1852-1911), son of Charles (1826-1888) and Virginie Francoise Gabrielle, nee Porche (1824-1871) and family in India
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name, which is very common in France, is mainly found in the Calvados and Mayenne departments in the north of the country. It is derived from the personal name Hugh.
The family was present in Jersey in the first decade of the 18th century. The first church record is for the burial of Madelaine, daughter of Martin and Madelaine Huard, in St Clement in 1712. There is then a gap until 1751 when the baptism of Madeleine, daughter of Jacques Huard and Catherine Sbod was registered in St Helier.
It is not known if there was a common ancestor, but two Jean Huards married in Jersey and raised families in the 1760s and 1770s. The first couple were Jean and Susanne Le Brocq, who settled in St Brelade, followed by Jean and Ester Picot, who married in St Helier in 1770 and settled there.
- Huard, found in Jersey
- Huart, found in Jersey
Births and baptisms
These wills created by members of the Huard family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Huard : Charles , of Percee Bequeaths money to the poor : - 22/May/1879 , 12/Sep/1888 , D/Y/A/47/72
- Huard : Frances , Mont Les Vaux, St Aubin, St Brelade - 19/Jun/1914 , 18/Feb/1915 , D/Y/A/74/29
- Huard : Jane , St Helier - 07/Nov/1912 , 29/Dec/1920 , D/Y/A/80/145
- Huard : John , St Helier - 23/Sep/1909 , 15/Mar/1915 , D/Y/A/74/54
- Huard : John , of St Brelade, now of St Peter 09/11/1859 Bequeaths to the poor of St Brelade 5 shillings - Unknown date , 21/Dec/1866 , D/Y/A/33/68
- Huard : Louisa , nee Godel, 47 Colomberie, St Helier 24/01/1939 Bequeaths the residue of her personal estate equally to the Jersey General Dispensary, the Home for Infirm & Aged Women, the Jersey Society for the Blind and the Jersey Fire Brigade; to H Godfray the picture "Landing of Queen Victoria, 1846"; to Henry and Alfred Holman two watercolour pictures by Clifford Blampied - Unknown date , 14/Jan/1944 , D/Y/A/112/11