Hughes family page
Richard Hughes married Francoise Brookbank in St Martin in 1756
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The surname is derived from the personal names Hugh and Hue, which come from the German hug = 'intelligence, heart, mind'
Clement Hughes, son of Charles and Jeanne Le Gallais, was baptised in St Helier in 1684. His father came from England.
Births and baptisms
Family members who served in the Great War
- Rifleman William George Hughes (1895- ) (Kent), PoW 1917, joined RAF 1919, worked in Jersey before war, not local
These wills created by members of the family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Ann Hughes, desires to be buried in St Saviours Cemetery - 7 August 1940, D/Y/A/107
- Arthur Hughes, Yokohama Villa, Roussel Street, St Helier - 11 January 1926, D/Y/A/86
- Elizabeth Hughes née Sales, 15 Regent Road, St Helier, widow - 3 October 1930, D/Y/A/90
- Elizabeth Hughes, The Limes, Green Street, St Helier - 28 October 1936, D/Y/A/99
- Hugh Hughes, Eastney Cottage, St Clements Road - 20 November 1918, D/Y/A/78
- John Hughes, 3 Midvale Road, St Helier - 23 October 1925, D/Y/A/85
- John Hughes, Armorel, Faldouet, St Martin - 19 March 1941, D/Y/A/107
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs