Origin of Surname
This is an old Norman surname of a family established in Jersey for many centuries, but now apparently extinct.
The first representatives in Jersey presumably came from Ingouville sur Mer, a seaside commune in upper Normandy. Other members of the family in Jersey are thought to have arrived much later, as Huguenot refugees
The first baptism record, that of Jean, son of Gilles, dates from 1604 in St Saviour but his brother Gilles is known to have been baptised in the parish in 1603. In 1625 he sold a field called Le Clos Daublin which he had bought from Jean Mourant to Richard Dumaresq.
- Marie Ingouville was married to Pierre Le Quesne in Trinity on 13 July 1625
- Ingrouille. This name, common in Guernsey, is thought to be entirely distinct from Ingouville.
- Ingouville baptisms in Jersey
- Ingouville marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Ingouville marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Ingouville burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Ernest James Ingouville (St H), Private RASC
These wills created by members of the Ingouville family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charles Ingouville of St Saviour, bequeaths to the poor of St Saviour, 10 shillings sterling 16 April 1785 - D/Y/A/13
- Elizabeth Ingouville of St Peter, now of St Helier 2 December 1726 - D/Y/A/6
- George Ingouville of 71 St George's Square, Pimlico, Middlesex and of Jersey - 10 May 1871, D/Y/A/35
- Isabel Ingouville of 8 Victoria Crescent, St Helier - 28 March 1898, D/Y/A/57
- Jean Ingouville 6 February 1725 - D/Y/A/5
- Jeanne Ingouville of St Helier, now of St Martin, desires to be buried in St Saviour's Cemetery, bequeaths residue if movable goods to the poor of St Saviour and St Martin - 29 March 1871, D/Y/A/35
- Maria Ingouville - 23 July 1881, D/Y/A/42
- Pierre Ingouville of Jersey, now of Hyères 4 September 1860 - D/Y/A/30
- Alphington House, Chasse Brunet
Family photograph album
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form