Ivystone Farm

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses

St Clement:

Ivystone Farm


W18DameBlanche.jpg


It is not clear which came first - the name of the farm or the 'ivy stone' menhir found nearby, also known as La Dame Blanche. It's also not clear whether it was an owner of the property, or another farmer, who took a sledgehammer to the menhir in 1982, breaking off two large chunks before, presumably, it was suggested that he cease his vandalism


Adjoining the farmland is also a field called Clos de la Chapelle, referring to a medieval chapel dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The chapel has long disappeared but in the grounds of the farm there are fragments of moulded stone that are reputed to be remnants of the building.

On the north of the central of three buildings, now demolished, were sash windows of a pattern older than the datestone inscribed ILI 1820, for Le Jeune. Jean Le Jeune married Esther Filleul in 1834.
Views
Personal tools
Navigation
Toolbox
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs