Jeanne family page
Most Jeanne family members in Jersey today are descended from 1880s immigrants from France, but the name goes back several centuries earlier
Augustine Josephine Clementine Jeanne (1872-1931), born in St Lo d'Ourville, daughter of Theophile Jules Bienaime (1845-1923) and Augustine Eugenie Adelaide, nee Bacheley (1847-1929) married Yves Marie Mirabel (1878-1944) in Jersey in 1903
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This is an unusual surname in that it was derived from a female personal name. Many surnames started life as male given names, and were then passed down to children and became surnames, but the same has rarely happened with female names.
There were at least 27 Jeanne households in Jersey in 2011, slightly down from 20 years before, and although it is unlikely that they are all descended from one immigrant family, it is likely that the majority are descendants of Victor Adolphe Charles Jeanne, and his wife Louise Maria, who came to Jersey from Normandy in the 1880s and raised a family of 18 children. See tree below
There had been a gap of 100 years since the previous baptism was registered, suggesting that an earlier family, which had been present in Jersey since the beginning of the 17th century, had died out.
- Joanne 1566
- Janne 1461
- Jenne and Jeune, although both sounding very similar, are entirely distinct surnames
Great War service
- Auguste Ernest Celestin Jeanne (St Mt) Private, RASC
These wills created by members of the Jeanne family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Jeanne : Adolphe Charles Victor , Roseland, St Saviour - 09/Mar/1921 , 11/Apr/1931 , D/Y/A/91/71
- Jeanne : Albert Auguste Leon , of Brookside, St Martin Bequeaths to Yvonne Helene Louise Jeanne, his property known as La Pensee - 15/Jan/1947 , 07/Mar/1955 , D/Y/B1/29/4
- Jeanne : Alfred Adolphe Bienaime , of Les Vaux Farm, Saviour - 04/Jul/1938 , 11/Jan/1956 , D/Y/B1/33/50
- Jeanne : Alice Victorine Eugenie , widow of Albert Jean Francois Huchet, of Mon Desir, Maufant, St Saviour - 10/Sep/1976 , 10/Sep/1976 , D/Y/B1/246/11
- Jeanne : Alphonse Ernest Athanase , of Radier, Grouville - 28/Jun/1929 , 19/Jul/1950 , D/Y/B1/6/4
- Jeanne : Auguste Ernest Celestin , of 4, Lansdowne Villas, Dicq Road, St Saviour and formerly of La Bretonnerie, St Saviour - 18/Jan/1936 , 01/Aug/1972 , D/Y/B1/178/18
- Jeanne : Clothilde Celine Eunice , wife of Philip George Le Masurier, of Valletta, Bagatelle Road, St Saviour - 06/Aug/1974 , 06/Aug/1974 , D/Y/B1/209/14
- Jeanne : Susanne , 28/01/1808 Bequeaths to the poor, £48 of French currency - Unknown date , 06/Oct/1810 , D/Y/A/18/26
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs