Jeune family page
Mary Elizabeth Jeune (1836-1894) daughter of George and Mary Pirouet, married Philip Baudains
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of Surname
Jeune is French for young.
A Jersey Post stamp in the 1985 Huguenot Heritage series depicts Lord St Helier, born Francis Jeune, suggesting that his family was of French Huguenot refugee origin, and this is supported by the entry for his father in George Balleine's Biographical Dictionary of Jersey, which says that the family arrived in Jersey during the reign of Elizabeth I (1558-1603). This was the first wave of Huguenot refugees which followed the Massacre of St Bartholomew in 1572.
However, the family name was known in Jersey in the late 13th century, long before the arrival of Huguenots. The name is also found in the Assize Roll of 1309. With the exception of Descendants of Jean Jeune, which shows the ancestry of Lord St Helier, the other trees below are believed to belong to the family which predates any possible Huguenot refugee link.
Collas and Johan Jeune and Jacques and Louys Le Jeune are listed in the Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550
Baptisms start with Jean, son of George, in St Saviour in 1572.
- Le Jeune, 1299
- Jennes, 1607
- Le Jenne, 1528
- Jeunes 1749
- Le Joeine 1309
There is considerable overlap between these two trees, which are from different sources. The first goes back several generations earlier; the second has later generations
- Descendants of Michel Jeune
- Descendants of Philippe Jeune
- Descendants of Clement Jeune
- Descendants of Jean Le Jeune
- Descendants of Jean Jeune
- Descendants of Clement Jennes Added 2016
- Descendants of Jennequin Jennes Added 2016
- Descendants of Michel Jennes Added 2016
- Francis Jeune, Lord St Helier, lawyer and MP
- Francois Jeune, Bishop of Peterborough and father of Francis Jeune
- Senator Reg Jeune, prominent Jersey politician in the second half of the 20th Century
Great War service
Family photograph album
Click on any image to see full-size version
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs