Jouguet family page
Archibald James Jouguet, born in St Helier in 1884, his wife Mary Rachel Adelaide, nee Le Masurier (1885- ) and family in 1959
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The name is of French origin, found in the south-west and Savoie as Joguet, and in the centre as Jouguet. It is derived from a placename meaning a small escarpment, after juchoir, the perching place of a chicken.
The family seems to have arrived in Jersey around 1707, when the first of five children of Pierre and Henriette Pomeray was baptised in St Helier. However, this line appears to have died out within a generation and it was a century before another Joguet arrived in the island.
Great War service
- Harold Wilfred Jouguet (1887-1916) son of James and Helene, nee Payn, Private in Northamptonshire Regiment, died in Prisoner of War camp, brother of Archibald
- Archibald James Jouguet (St H), 2nd Lieutenant Northamptonshire Regiment, brother of Harold, wounded
These wills created by members of the Jouguet family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Jouguet : Archibald James , of Lydford, St Clement's Road, St Helier - 14/Mar/1945 , 01/Feb/1963 , D/Y/B1/72/30
- Jouguet : James , St Helier - 20/Mar/1933 , 28/Dec/1934 , D/Y/A/96/152
- Jouguet : Mary Rachel Adele , nee Le Masurier, wife of Archibald James Jouguet, of Lydford, St Clement's Road, St Helier - 10/Nov/1961 , 13/May/1966 , D/Y/B1/97/48