Keeping family page
This family arrived in Jersey from Hampshire in the 1830s
Selina Emma Keeping (1860-1932), born in St Helier, wife of Daniel Curtis Nother (1831-1882). They had five sons and three daughters
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is an early Saxon nickname found in the Domesday book, so among the very earliest of British surnames. It comes from the old German ‘Kupp’, meaning a person of large and jolly appearance.
This family did not arrive in Jersey until the 1830s. Charles Keeping of Hampshire married Jane Grainger of Plymouth in St Helier in 1835. They only had a daughter baptised in the parish, but other Keepings arrived at roughly the same time, mainly from Hampshire, and we have managed to confirm two family trees.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Archibald John Keeping (1884-1917) son of Philip John and Alice, nee Lock, husband of Minnie Victoria Sophia Tibbitt, Leading Seaman RN, HMS Severn, died of wounds, Dar es Salaam
- Albert Henry Keeping (1889- ) (St H) son of Albert Edward and Alice Matilda Ashley, Private in Royal Jersey Garrison Battalion
- Eric Roland Keeping (1898- ) (StH) son of Ernest Charles and Selina Rachel Vardon, Private in Gloucestershire Regiment
- Ernest William John Keeping (1893- ) (St H) son of Ernest Charles and Selina Rachel Vardon, Private in Hampshire Regiment
- William Charles Keeping (1894- ) (St H) son of Ernest John and Selina Rachel Vardon, Private in Royal Fusiliers
- William Henry Keeping, driver in Australian Field Artillery
These wills created by members of the Keeping family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Keeping : Albert Henry , of Overdale Hospital, St Helier - 11/Jun/1979 , 11/Jun/1979 , D/Y/B1/301/34
- Keeping : Dorothy Lilian , of 237, Le Marais, St Clement and formerly of Flat 20, Mount Edgcumbe, Queen's Road, St Helier - 03/Sep/1975 , 27/Mar/1980 , D/Y/B1/319/32
- Keeping : Ernest Charles , St Helier - 11/Jun/1915 , 13/Jul/1915 , D/Y/A/74/96
- Keeping : Ernest William John , of 57, Oxford Road, St Helier and formerly of Warminster, Wiltshire - 10/Feb/1916 , 09/Feb/1971 , D/Y/B1/155/25
- Keeping : Harry James , 05/12/1876 Bequeaths to the poor of St Martin 5 shillings - Unknown date , 19/Jan/1878 , D/Y/A/40/7
- Keeping : Maud Julia Magdalene , St Brelade Bequeaths sums of money and shares in companies to Rosa Violet Peapell, Reginald Oscar Keeping Also the residue of the estate and any personal effects, household furiture, linen, plate and monies to be divided between her sister and brother Rosa Violet Peapell, nee Keeping and Reginald Oscar Keeping Also bequeaths to Reginald Oscar Keeping the property, Jesmond Dene, St Brelade - 09/Apr/1938 , 06/Apr/1949 , D/Y/B1/1/66
- Keeping : Reginald Oscar , of Jesmond Dene, Route des Genets, St Brelade Residue of estate bequeathed to niece, Violet Julia Peapell - 09/Apr/1949 , 23/Nov/1949 , D/Y/B1/3/8
- Keeping : William , ... - 02/Jul/1896 , 10/Mar/1911 , D/Y/A/70/28
- Keeping : William Charles , of Fairheath, Rue de la Pasteur, Grouville - 11/Nov/1975 , 21/Mar/1977 , D/Y/B1/255/25
Rose Mabel Keeping (1874-1954) born in St Helier, married Francis John de La Mare (1875-1965) in 1902. She had a daughter and son, Lillian May and Francis Clarence, before she was married, and then four more sons and another daughter