Kent family page
This family has been in Jersey since the mid-19th century
Adalina Louise Kent, nee Leplanquais, born 1841 in Coutances, married to George Louis Kent. After her husband died, Adalina ran a small dairy in the Parade for a while, and lived in Church Street until her death. She was the mother of seven children
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is an old English surname believed, not surprisingly, to refer to the county of Kent. Spelt 'Cantium' in 51 BC, and 'Cantia', c730 in Bede's Historia Ecclesiastica. The name is believed to derive from the Celtic canto (Welsh cant), meaning 'rim' or 'border'; hence, 'border land' or 'coastal district'.
The Kent family arrived in Jersey in the shape of George Louis Kent, who came to the island from Portsmouth around 1860 to work in the oyster fisheries at Gorey. He settled, married Adalina Louise Leplanquais of Coutances and they raised a family.
Great War service
- Francis George Kent (St P) son of Francis John and Mary Jane, Gunner in Royal Garrison Artillery
- Frederick Edward James Kent (1897- ) (St H) son of Frederick James and Charlotte Cantell, Steward Mercantile Marine, ss Ibex
- George Robert Kent (1900- ) All Saints) son of George Louis and Annie Flore Elizabeth
- Henry Edward Kent (St H) (1880- ) son of George and Adelina Kent, Corporal in Labour Corps
- James William Kent (1886- ) (Gouray) son of James William and Esther Ann Laffoley, Fireman Mercantile Marine, ss Ibex
- John Henry Kent (1884- ) (St P) son of Francis George and Mary Jane, Private in Dorsetshire Regiment, ex-RMIJ, wounded
- Philip Guy Kent (St H), Private in Hampshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Kent family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- George Kent and A Kent - 8 July 1889, D/Y/A/48
- Thomas Kent of Hampshire, now of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 10s - 23 February 1871, D/Y/A/35
- Edward Kent of Les Vaux Villa, St Helier - 28 November 1894, D/Y/A/53
- Henry Kent, 5 Victoria Crescent, St Helier, master butcher - 13 January 1943, D/Y/A/110
- William Kent, 6 Ongar Road, Fulham, London - 1 October 1931, D/Y/A/92
- Charlotte Kent, 65 Val Plaisant, St Helier, spinster - 17 January 1905, D/Y/A/64
- George Kent, 7 Gloucester Street, St Helier - 21 November 1930, D/Y/A/90
- George Kent, Cardiff, Glamorgan, Master Mariner - 20 July 1907, D/Y/A/66
- Francis Kent, Les Niemes Lodge, St Peter - 6 May 1938, D/Y/A/102
- John Kent, Val de La Mare, St Peter - 3 July 1922, D/Y/A/82
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs