Grande Route de Faldouet
Type of property
Historic farm group but not in the Jersey tradition
Families associated with the property
- MP ♥ MNC 1774 - For Michel Payn and Marie Nicolle , who married at St Martin on 14 April the previous year. This stone was discovered hidden by concrete in the conservatory and moved to a barn
- HP EGF 1811 - For Helier Payn, son of Michel, and Elizabeth Godfray, who married at St Martin on 5 June 1808. This is on a lintel by the roadside in a blocked up doorway
- GGC 1875/6 - Not deciphered. Arch capstone now in the garden. Probably for Gruchy, but may have been moved from elsewhere because Helier Payn, son of Helier and Elizabeth, was still living at L'Abri in 1881
- 1827 - Inscribed lintel on outbuilding
Historic Environment Record entry
Historic farm group retaining original early and late 19th century features and contributing to streetscape character. House five-bay, two-storey with attic. Front (south elevation): Slate roof with two ashlar granite chimneys with dripstones. Façade unusually with pair of gables containing attic windows, not in the vernacular tradition.
Random granite rubble with dressed stone quoins and quoined window surrounds. Windows are twelve-pane (6/6) sashes. Late 19th century open timber trellis porch. Wing adjoins at right, random granite, slate roof. Extensive two-storey granite outbuildings to the west and rear (north) forming enclosed courtyard. Random granite roadside wall.
Old Jersey Houses
Called L'Abri by Joan Stevens, and deserving of only a passing mention in Vol 2 of Old Jersey Houses, this property on Grande Route de Faldouet, St Martin, is known today, and has been for a long time, as L'Abri Farm. She described it as a 'standard local house' with gables which, 'though handsome, are not in the vernacular tradition'. She seemed more impressed with the trellised porch, which she described as 'a good example of its kind', including a photograph, shown here, in the book.
She only discovered one of the property's four datestones