If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
L'Abri des Hougues
- Les Hougues 
- Les Hougues Cottage
- Les Hougues Farm - see datestones
Route des Côtes du Nord, Trinity
Type of property
Much altered old Jersey granite cottage, mansard roof and rear extension added in 20th century
Families associated with the property
- de Gruchy family: Gilles de Gruchy, a younger son from the nearby property named Sous Les Bois, is recorded in the Jersey Land Registry on 21 October 1699, as buying land here, at Les Hougues. There is no mention of a house. In 1710, Gilles was sued by the master of the Jolie Anne, Thomas Perchard, for not having paid for two voyages to the Ecréhous, probably for cargoes of stone, as the house has some Ecréhous stone visible to this day. Gilles had an elder son named Hugh de Gruchy, whose burial entry in the Trinity register, gives his address as Les Hougues, showing that he also lived at the farm, as it now was. Although Hugh married and had a family, the property passed into the hands of the Starck family, perhaps by purchase in the 19th century.
- Starck: Marjorie Sabina Stephens, nee Starck, was living here when her will was registered in 1954. There are apparently no records relating to the occupation of the property during the German Occupation. Marjorie appears to have inherited the property from her grandparents, whom she lived with at the age of ten in 1901 when the rest of her family was in London.
Amongst the many charming picture of this small farm, with its ivy-clad well to the right of the front door, is one showing the daughter of the house holding a pail between the well and the door, in traditional Jersey country attire. This was Miss [name not at hand] Starck.
E STARCK 1890 - On gatepost for Edward Starck. Location described in Jersey Datestone Register as Les Hougues Farm
Historic Environment Record entry
It is not clear from the very brief entry whether this building is listed or not: "Single storey, three-bay, much altered. Wellhead in front garden. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795."
It is suggested that the property may have medieval origins 
Notes and references
- ↑ The 1901 census shows three households at this location, two living at Les Hougues and one at Les Hougues Cottage
- ↑ It is unclear why this should be the case: see above.