La Chasse, Rue des Cabarettes

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


La Chasse, St Martin


H21LaChasseRueDesCabarettes2.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

LaChasseStMt.jpg

Property name

La Chasse

Other names

Keepers

Location

Rue des Cabarettes, St Martin[1]

Type of property

18th century farm group

Valuations

The property sold for £799,000 in 2007

Families associated with the property

Datestones

18 PBT RD 22 - for Philippe Bertram and Rachel du Parcq [2] This engraving is on a lintel, as shown here. There is another engraving 18 PBT RD 23 on a gatepost









Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This is a good example of a Jersey farm group, showing its development over time. It retains evidence of its early core in the early windows. The farmhouse has fine stonework. It retains its character and proportions externally. The former farm buildings are of group value.

Decorative gateposts, dated 1823. The original house is considered to date from the 15th century with developments in the 17th and 19th centuries. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Historic farm group comprising the principal two-storey, five-bay farmhouse (La Chasse) with a four-bay west wing, a converted outbuilding range (now a separate property Keepers) to the east, running north/south, and a small range of outbuildings, including the former bakehouse, to the north.

A further 21st century extension to the west, and detached garage to the southwest.

La Chasse - front (south) elevation: slate roof with two stone chimneys. Two dormers with curved bargeboard, pendants and finials; one rooflight to farmhouse, 3 to west wing. Walls are squared granite with dressed long and short stone openings. West bay windows have chamfered openings (lengthened 8 stone openings) with accolade lintels. Walls to west wing are of mixed stone, top window opening with brick jambs. Datestone over door

Old Jersey Houses

The 1823 datestone is included in the list in Volume Two but, despite the property's supposed 15th century origins, it is not otherwise mentioned in either volume

Notes and references

  1. The Jersey Datestone Register wrongly places this property in Rue du Sacrement, St Saviour, which is the continuation of Rue des Cabarettes across the parish boundary
  2. The couple married in St Brelade on 3 March 1796. The datestone register wrongly states that no marriage has been found for the couple, who do not appear to fit into any of our Bertram trees.
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs