La Fontaine, Ville a l'Eveque
This house was owned by the Romeril family in the 16th and 17th centuries and then passed by marriage to the Le Couteurs. By 1772 the property was in the ownership of the Dorey family, as marked by a stone inscribed PDR 1772 over a door of a wing to the north of the present house.
The first Romeril known to have owned La Fontaine was Leonard, who was succeeded by his son Jean, who was a Jurat from 1577 to 1616. After Jean's death the property probably passed to his brother Philippe, Jurat from 1597 to 1605. His grandson Edouard, also a Jurat from 1663 to 1675, had a son Philippe who died at the age of 10 and his daughter Marie married Trinity Constable Josue Le Couteur, son of Jacques. The house was inherited by their second son Josue, who married his first cousin Marguerite.
The house is believed to have been rebuilt in 1838. Above the front door is a stone inscribed IDL EDL ADL 1838. These initials have not been explained. The occupants at the first census three years later were Thomas Stansfield and his family, and in 1851 wine merchant Henry Wragg and his family were living there.
Jurat Elias Nicolle ( -1880) owned the property in 1868 and this was marked by the erection of a stone over the stable door inscribed ENC LNC 1868. After Jurat Nicolle's death in 1880 his widow Susannah continued to live at La Fontaine with her children, and having come of age, the eldest son, Ernest (26), was listed as head of household at the 1891 census.
The same applied in 1901, when farmer Ernest, by now a Lieut-Colonel in the Militia was living at La Fontaine with his mother, aunt, three brothers and four sisters. By 1911 all his family had left and Ernest, apparently retired and a man of 'independent means' was married to Florence Maud and lived at La Fontaine with her and a coachman and general servant.