La Forge du Carrefour
At the crossroads on the Les Prevosts Road, St Saviours, Guernsey the stands an old forge. It is named after its location - La Forge du Carrefour. Today it has been turned into a beautiful family home and is owned by Alan Arundell. But for over one hundred and fifty years it was owned by the Torode family - and a long line of forgerons' who worked there. One was Charles Torode who made the weather vane for St Saviour Church.
In the year 1796 it was bought from James Martin and his wife Anne Gallienne by Charles Torode. Charles was born on 3 September 1768 at Les Issues in St Saviours, Guernsey. He was the son of another Charles Torode and his second wife Marie Robert. He was married at St Saviours Church on the 18th of October 1795 to Judith Le Clercq, the daughter of Nicolas Le Clercq and Jeanne Rougier.
Charles turned the out-house (Barn) into a forge in 1802 and it became a going concern. His son Charles Torode took over the forge after he died on 5 January 1843. His son Charles was only 12 years old when his father died, but carried on the business with family help. Charles was born in 1831 and married Lucie Mauger in 1860 at St Saviours Church. They had seven children. Their second was Charles Mauger Torode born on 8 November 1865.
He took over the running of the forge after his fathers death on 28 July 1891. He never married. It was he who made the weather vane that stands on top of St Saviours Church. He died on 4 February 1946. After his death La Forge du Carrefour was sold to Jean Louis Gasdoue and his wife Euphroine Adele Lanoe de Sous l'Eglise in St Saviours. His estate was administered by his brother Walter John Torode and his children. La Forge du Carrefour was occupied at the time by Mary Ann Torode and her husband Francis Le Ruez. The forge was dismantled and the property became a house once again.