La Fosse, St P

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Jersey houses

La Fosse, St Peter


Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Property name

La Fosse

Other names

  • Maison de la Fosse
  • La Fosse Cottage (adjoining)


Rue des Fosses, St Peter

Type of property

Rural house, possibly with 14th century origins. Refronted in 1730. Largely rebuilt in 1819.


The adjoining cottage was sold for £295,000 in 2005

Families associated with the property

  • Seale: The name of this now-extinct local family continued, until recently, to be associated with part of its former St Peter`s land, as "le Jardin de Scelle" was within the triangular, walled, piece of land, now occupied by the public house and restaurant called `The Sir George Carteret.` It was sold by Matthieu Horton, in 1818, to Abraham de Gruchy, who built on it the present building and outhouses.
  • Pipon: Jersey Archive holds a Bail à fin d'Héritage between Thomas Scelle and Thomas Pipon, son of Jean of St Peter, recording the lease in perpetuity in 1641 from Scelle to Pipon of Maison de la Fosse, garden and land to the east of St Peter's Church in St Peter, Fief des Vingt Livres for the sum of 10 quartiers 3 cabots of wheat 4 cabots of barley and 1 cabot of flour. Thomas Pipon was a Wool merchant and noted royalist, during the Civil War. His eldest son, and only son to have surviving issue, was the successful merchant Elie Pipon, who purchased, in 1695, the Seigneurie of Noirmont.
  • Horton: Matthieu Horton was the first of his family to live in St Peter, having lived there in 1737. The family`s land in the parish is identified as being that of La Fosse in an `aveu` dated 1774, for the the Fief des Vingt Livres, in which his son Matthieu (1737-1825), is described as "ayant droit d`Elie Pipon". The holding then consisted of 69 vergées, 30 perches and 15 pieds
  • Le Feuvre: The house and land passed by marriage in 1838 from the Horton family to the Le Feuvres. The 1841 census shows that Elizabeth Horton, née Le Brocq (1790-1882), whose husband Mathieu rebuilt the property in 1819 and had the datestone below erected, was a widow, living with her daughter Elizabeth (1816-1891) and her husband Philippe Le Feuvre, who farmed La Fosse's land, some of it now undoubtedly part of the airfield of Jersey Airport. He was, from 1865 to 1875, Deputy for St Peter, in the States of Jersey. Also in the household were Philippe's father Philippe (1777-1853), a retired Master Mariner and Shipowner, Philippe and Elizabeth's young son William and Elizabeth`s widowed uncle, the philanthropist, Jean Le Brocq, who is believed to have died here. The property is shown 'at La Fosse' in the census. This was the name of the district, rather than the house itself, because few country properties had names at this time.
Elizabeth snr. was absent from La Fosse at the time of the 1851 census, which shows her daughter Elizabeth and Philippe living there with children William, Philip, Eliza, Ann, John and Emma, their governess and home teacher Fanny Payn and two farm servants. By 1861 William, who was later to inherit the property, was living elsewhere, and Philip was absent, attending university, prior to ordination and becoming a chaplain in the Indian Army. Their younger siblings had been joined by three more, Jane, Francis (who would settle in Canada) and Charles, who settled in California.
Philip Le Feuvre was the enumerator for the 1871 census and La Fosse can be found out of sequence at the end of the census book for St Peter No 1 District. On the first page, having described the boundaries of the district, Philip wrote: 'In this vingtaine is situated the beautiful church of St Peter with its magnificent steeple pointing heavenward and a large Parish Hall joining the Church Yard'. His mother-in-law, now 81 and listed as Elizabeth Le Brocq, had returned to live with the family. She was still there in 1881, the listing having reverted to her married name, Elizabeth Horton, but the only two of her grandchildren who remained at the family home were Ann and Emma, now aged 35 and 31.
Elaine Le Feuvre (1881-1963), daughter of the chaplain, Philip Horton Le Feuvre, was a most popular Geography Teacher at the Jersey College for Girls. She would regale her pupils with first-hand accounts of the countries her family had visited or settled in. These countries included South Africa, where three of her brothers had settled, Rhodesia, Australia, where one brother had settled, whilst another had gone to work in Japan. Two uncles, above, had also emigrated, one to Canada and the other to the United States of America
  • Le Marquand: At La Fosse in 1941 were Harold Fleury Le Marquand (1901- ), who appears from directories, to have then been the owner, his father Arthur Philip (1878- ) and mother Sarah Ann, née Le Couillard (1878- ), his wife Emma Mary, née Perrot (1908- ) and their children Malcolm Arthur (1930- ), Ronald Harold William (1934- ), Gillian Linda (1935- ) and Linda Gillian (1937- )
  • Herve: Also in 1941, Annie Mary Herve, née Rault (1893- ), a widow engaged in household duties and farm work, was living here, with her daughters Evelyn Marguerite (1928- ) and Olive Margaret



Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A fine rural house, with ashlar stonework and render, of early origins, retaining historic character. This building is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Although some fabric of early origins (14th century?), it was refronted in 1730 and largely rebuilt in 1819.

Two-storey, five-bay house with two-storey wing set back to east. Single storey extension to west much altered.

Throughway from west under adjacent barn, datestone 1884. Reputedly retains an early fireplace with carved head.

Old Jersey Houses

Not included, despite early origins

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs