If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Mont de La Ville Bagot, St Ouen
Type of property
Farm with 17th century origins
Historic Environment Record entry
Historic farm group with 17th century origins, retaining character and features. Of particular note is one of the finest stable blocks in Jersey, with unusual ogee topped arch entrance, and the survival of an early, detached laverie/boulangerie.
Main house: central entrance. Mahogany stair with stick balusters and bat-newel posts circa 1830, situated in possible remains of tourelle. Four-panel doors throughout. Ground floor west room: boxed beams, 19th century timber chimney piece with tongue/groove cupboards, behind which appears evidence of an earlier fireplace. The upper levels were not visited.
The link into the detached laverie/boulangerie displays the huge thickness of the main house construction. This opening probably predates the single-storey link-building. Within is a stone fireplace circa 1680 with a bread oven inserted, protruding through the back. It appears early as it is constructed with stone blocks/bricks, its door-face is late 19th century. The floor timbers appear 18th century.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.