La Hauteur

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


La Hauteur, St Brelade


JC16LaHauteur.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

H20LaHauteur2.jpg

Property name

La Hauteur

Other names

  • The Cottage
  • Oakwell

Location

Mont Les Vaux, St Brelade

Type of property

19th century farm complex, with possibly much earlier remnants

Valuations

  • The property sold for £699,500 in 2001 before it was sub-divided
  • The main house sold for £498,000 and the Cottage for £325,000 in 2004

Families associated with the property

  • Morley: This property was built by the Morley family, Methodist immigrants to Jersey in the 1860s, and remained in their ownership throughout the 20th century. In the second half of the century it was owned by George and May Morley, who lived there with their two sons. After the Occupation, George Morley was a melon grower using greenhouses at La Hauteur. He was also an amateur film maker. He produced a documentary on the process of growing a melon, from start to finish. A family film of the Morleys at La Hauteur, including the building of a summer house in the garden, is located in the Audio Visual Area of the Jersey Archive.

Census returns

The earlier George Morley, who built La Hauteur on the site of an earlier farm in the early 1860s died in 1867. The 1871 census shows his widow, Mary Ann, nee Ogle (1819- ) living there with her daughters Alice (1850- ), Sarah (1860- ) and Margaret (1862- ) and four servants. Ten years later they had been joined by elder brother Herbert Ogle Morley (1847- ). All five of them were still at La Hauteur in 1891 and 1901.

Datestones

  • MDCCCXXVIII (1838) on a wash-house lintel

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A good example of an historic farm group, with early origins, which retains historic character and features of interest. Reputed to have fragments of medieval fabric surviving. Former farmhouse, and outbuildings (now three houses: La Hauteur, The Cottage and Oakwell).

Farmhouse: Three builds. East part is double depth, two storeys plus attic, three bays. Single storey conservatory on east gable. Entrance to house on south, to left end, has four-panel glazed door with sidelights and overlight with stained glass. Trellis porch.

Rear of Oakwell, west part of former farmhouse, is a single storey wash house with lintel on west gable.

Workshop/cartshed to northwest of farmhouse.

Notes and references


Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs