If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Le Bel Denton
- Le Bel d'Enton 
- St Brelade's Hospital
Mont Les Vaux, St Aubin
Type of property
18th century almshouse
Families associated with the property
- GPB CONNETABLE 1853 - For Constable George Philip Balleine
Historic Environment Record entry
A rare example in Jersey of an 18th century almshouse, which retains its character and many original features. Founded between 1757-1770 as a hospital or almshouse for the poor of the parish by St Aubin shipowner and merchant Thomas Denton and his wife Jeanne. Later east phase bears 1853 datestone and was used as a parish hall - one cell from which survives. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Two-storey, nine-bay, former hospital building comprising two phases, the westernmost being the earlier (approx 1757-1770). This phase is of five bays with pitched slate roof with two large chimneys. The four-bay later phase to the east has been constructed to match the older building, although the detail is less refined. The granite string-courses were omitted and the dressed granite infill at ground floor is substituted for unpainted stucco, mixed to match the colour of the stonework.
Old Jersey Houses
A prosperous and benevolent shipowner and merchant named Thomas Denton, or d'Enton (1701-1770) with his wife Jeanne (1697-1770) daughter of Pierre Le Bailly, founded this charitable establishment. When the Chapel of Ease was built in St Aubin in 1750, Thomas and Jeanne were among the founders and presented a baptismal dish. Being childless the couple decided in 1757 to found a hospital or almshouse for the poor of their parish.
Notes and references
- ↑ It is not clear how this spelling emerged. The almshouse for which this building was constructed was founded by Thomas Denton. Although we have not found a record of his marriage to Jeanne Le Bailly, we have not found any records in Jersey for d'Enton