If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Rue des Charrieres, St Martin
Type of property
Farm group with 16th century origins
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- de Quetteville
- 17 EDRM 47 - unexplained
- 18 GGD SAH 24 - for George Gaudin (1793- ) and Suzanne Ahier, who married in 1820. This stone is on a lintel now inside the 1905 potato barn
- JGD ♥♥ MAP 1834 - for Jean Gaudin, brother of George, and Mary Elizabeth Asplet, who married in St Helier in 1829 - on the front of the house
- TRN SGD 1883 - for Thomas Renouf (1858- ), son of Thomas, and Susannah Gaudin (1857- ), daughter of John, who married in St Martin in 1878. Susannah's grandfather was George Gaudin's brother. These initials are also on the potato barn, dated 1904
- EDQ MR 1717 - For Elie de Quetteville and Marie Richardson
- EDQ ♥ MPC 1771 - for Elie de Quetteville and Marthe Perchard, who married at St Martin in 1756 - on a lintel at the rear of the house
Historic Environment Record entry
A good example of an historic farm group with the farmhouse retaining original features dating back to the 16th century, bearing evidence of the development of various architectural features. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Main house (five-bay, two-storey), two-bay, two-storey wing set back on west side. Early 20th century two-storey, five-bay wing at right angles to house on east side. Late 19th century outbuildings with 1970s infill behind.
Tourelle with tapered base. Stone lintels and sills to windows west of the tourelle. Tourelle has two small windows with stone surrounds, mixture and reuse. Door to side of tourelle.
Benitier/lavabo with pointed arch to side of tourelle doorway.
Finds have been discovered in the surrounding fields, including flint tools, cores, flakes, Normandy Stoneware and modern pottery.
Old Jersey Houses
Vol 1 - 'Here is an exceptionally fine example of a tourelle staircase. It was illustrated by de La Croix, in a rather crude lino-cut. It is clearly the remains of an original house, the south facade having been much altered, but the bottom right-hand window is 17th century, and all the right-hand part looks nearer the original than the left. The tourelle has been heightened but retains two fine windows, which are somewhat larger than usual, though clearly contemporary with the tower.'