Le Grand Catelet

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Le Grand Catelet, St John


H20LeGrandCatelet2.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

H20LeGrandCatelet1.jpg

Property name

Le Grand Catelet

Other names

  • Le Catelet [1]

Location

Route de St Jean, St John

Type of property

Early 17th century country house

Valuations

Sold for £1.2 million in 2006

Families associated with the property

  • De Carteret

Jersey Heritage holds several records for occupants of Le Catelet, but they do not distinguish between this house and the other of the same name in St John

Datestones

H20LeGrandCatelet3.jpg
  • PN 1609 - not deciphered
  • 1707 PDC - For Philip de Carteret, son of Trinity Seigneur Charles and father of Charles, below, who married Marthe Carey. These de Carterets are descended from the Vinchelez de Haut line and acquired the Seigneurship of Trinity through the first marriage of Charles de Carteret (1646-1685) to Marie de Carteret( -1681), daughter and principal heir of Amias, following the death of her brother Amias. The de Carterets acquired the property by marrying into the Le Couteur family. See tree below.
  • CDC ♥ MCR 1747 - In facade of house with coat of arms of de Carteret and the ‘billets’ of Lempriere. SI above may represent Saint Jean. For Charles de Carteret, who married Marthe Carey of Guernsey on 6 August 1744 [2]


Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A good example of an early house, refronted mid-18th century, retaining its character and fine stonework features. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. One of the island's oldest recorded gablestones in outbuilding - 1609 with initials PN.

Arch with wide concave chamfer and chamfer stops may date from 1609, windows heightened and gable stone removed in 1747.

Two-storey, irregular five-bay house with 20th century wing to west, and extensive buildings to north. F

Old Jersey Houses

The entry in volume one says that this is a very early surviving St John house, believed to have been built in 1609. The author bases her calculation on the presence of an early single voussoired arch and a gable datestone inscribed PN 1609. She believes that the arch and the house could have been constructed at the beginning of the 17th century, but is unable to say by whom, because PN has not been identified. He could have been a Pierre or a Philippe, and perhaps a Neel or a Nicolle, but all that is speculation.

The datestone is one of the earliest gable stones recorded. As with several later stones in the parish, the 'N' has been carved the wrong way round.

Notes and references

  1. The property appears to have been renamed to distinguish it from a smaller, younger Le Catelet in the same parish
  2. He is supposed to have raised the roof and enlarged the windows when he acquired the house.

Trees

  • 1 Jean Le Couteur m Priscille Messervy
    • 2 Jacques Le Couteur ( -1638) m Esther Botterel
      • 3 Clement Le Couteur m Jeanne de Carteret
        • 4 Elizabeth Le Couteur m Charles de Carteret (1669-1712)
          • 5 Philippe de Carteret (1685- ) m Sara Valpy dit Janvrin
            • 6 Charles de Carteret m (1744) Marthe Carey
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs