Le Nord

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses

St John:

Le Nord


FarmL'Auberge.jpg



This house, now the Farmhouse inn, but for many years l'Auberge du Nord, was owned by the Le Couteur family throughout the 17th and 18th centuries before Amice Le Couteur sold it to Philippe Romeril in 1798.

The initials of Jean Le Couteur and Esther Arthur, and the date 1696 - 16 ILC EA 96 - are carved on the lintel of one of four fireplaces. They were married in 1689 and were the great-great-grandparents of Colonel Sir John Le Couteur of Belle Vue, St Aubin, who was aide de camp to Queen Victoria at the time of her second visit to Jersey in 1859.

The house was assessed by Joan Stevens in her first volume of Old Jersey Houses to be much older than 1696.
Views
Personal tools
Navigation
Toolbox
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs