Leonard family page
This name can be traced back to the 16th century in Jersey
Lionel Frederick Leonard, better known as playwright Freddy Lonsdale
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname is probably derived from the Germanic personal name Leonhard, leon meaning 'lion' and hard meaning 'brave' or 'hardy'. It is a name which is found in both the British Isles and France.
The name was present in Jersey as early as 1549, and the original family was probably of French origin, although there were undoubtedly later immigrants from England. The early family appears to have died out in the 17th century and there is a gap in baptisms for the name from 1629 to 1791.
- Leonard, 1527
- Lienard, 1461-78
- Lieonard 1617
- Lyonard 1528
- Descendants of Michel Leonard
- Descendants of Germain Leonard
- Descendants of James Leonard
- Descendants of John Leonard
Leonard family members who served in World War 1
- William Herbert Lennard (1895-1914) son of Herbert and Emma, Private, Dorsetshire Regiment, killed in action
- Edwin L Lennard (St H), Private, Devonshire Regiment
Two sons of Alexandre and Ada Maria of St Ouen
- Clarence Alexander Leonard (1896- ) (St O) Private, East Surrey Regiment
- Edward Stanley Leonard (1898- ) (St O) Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
Notable family members
- Freddy Lonsdale, playwright and librettist, born Lionel Leonard
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs