If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Rue de La Mare Ballam, St John
Type of property
Sold for £2.1 million in 2016
Families associated with the property
- Falla: In About 1600 Pierre Falla, second son of Jean Falla, of Grande Maison, in St Sampson, Guernsey, settled at Les Capelles, in the same parish, where his descendants remained until the middle of the nineteenth century.
In or about 1788 Isaac Falla, of Les Capelles, sold his Guernsey property to his brother Pierre, and settled in St John, Jersey, on an estate which he bought, by deed of 6 September 1788, from Philippe Hubert. The latter had bought this property on 1 July 1775 from Esther Esnouf, daughter of Josue Esnouf and Susanne de Ste Croix, Esther Esnouf having become tenante apres decret to her father's inheritance.
The estate comprised about 55 vergées of land, with a vivier or fish-pond, the whole situated in the Parish of St John, on the Fiefs Esnouf and à l'Abbesse de Caen. Isaac Falla named this property Les Capelles, after his ancestral home in Guernsey, and it was he who planted most of the beautiful oak trees which surround the estate. 
- Gallichan: In 1901 Farmer Thomas Philip Gallichan (1831- ) and his wife Marguerite, nee Dorey (1831- ) were living here
Historic Environment Record entry
Former farm group. Four-bay, two-storey house with raised basement, much altered in 20th century. L-plan outbuilding range.
Of particular note is a large detached bakehouse, retaining its fireplace with lined corbels. A farmstead is shown on this site on Richmond map of 1795.
Old Jersey Houses
Notes and references
- ↑ From Falla pedigree prepared in 1904 by E P Le Feuvre, for Walter Falla