Les Geonnais de Bas

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Les Geonnais de Bas, St Ouen


H21LesGeonnaisDeBas1.png



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

H21LesGeonnaisDeBas3.png

Property name

Les Geonnais de Bas

Location

Rue des Geonnais, St Ouen

Type of property

Farmstead with 17th century origins

Valuations

No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

    • De Carteret: In 1559 the Royal Court heard a dispute over land between Jean de Carteret, Seigneur of the Fief de Hault de Vincheles and Jean Dumaresq. The Clameur de Haro had been raised in 1596 by Richard Coutanches, one of the attorneys of Jean Dumaresq. The dispute was over land at Les Jonets [Géonnais], La Grande Becquet, St Ouen. The Court ordered Dumaresq to pay a fine of £20 to the sengneur, who retained possession of Les Jonets. The case was heard by Bailiff Georges Poulet sitting with Jean Berrin, Nicollas Lempriere, Helier Lempriere, and Philippe Romeril

Chevalier: In 1941 Gordon Chevalier (1904- ) and his wife Dorothy Carrel, nee Malzard (1907- ) were living here. In 1917 Francis Chevalier appealed against his call-up. The Appeal was dismissed.

Datestones

None found, despite aga of property

H21LesGeonnaisDeBas2.png

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Historic farm group with 17th century origins. A highly significant collection of farm buildings, whose main house probably dates to the medieval period.

Stylistic elements within and without the house support this conclusion - namely the fireplaces, unusually small windows and the early stop to the chamfered entrance.

The location of the building next to the dolmen of the same name, and its importance within the context of this rural setting enhances its value.

The wing abutting and to the east of the main house probably added in the 17th or early 18th century. Other building 19th century. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Main farm house with range of buildings abutting to the southeast.

South of main house is a well-head, probably 18th century, and opposite a two-storey 19th century building.

Offset entrance with simple oak staircase, circa 1700, now boxed in with cupboard. Ground floor east side room has late medieval fireplace with 17th/18th century alterations and a timber lintel. Stone fireplace from reused material (possibly parts of a dismantled fireplace that is known to have once existed behind boarding in the ground floor west side room); the right hand jamb is a reused window head with decoration dating possibly 15th century; the rest, including corbels, could also be 15th century. Boxed-in blades from the roof structure spring from within these upper rooms. Within the roof an A-framed roof structure survives, it is simple, pegged at the apex and collars, constructed in elm suggesting a 17th century date.

Old Jersey Houses

Not included in either volume despite the obvious antiquity of the property and its architectural interest

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs