Les Hanois Lighthouse
Les Hanois Lighthouse is a Trinity House lighthouse built on the treacherous rocks called Les Hanois off the south western tip of Guernsey.
Trinity House was given permission to build the lighthouse in 1859, the foundation stone was laid by the Bailiff, Sir Peter Stafford Carey in 1860, and on 8 December 1862, it was officially lit for the first time.
The tower is made of Cornish granite and is 33 metres high. The interior comprises six circular rooms 13 feet in diameter and 9 feet high.
The lighthouse was permanently manned by a lighthouse keeper until it was automated in 1966. There is a small boathouse at Portelet Bay.
- Toms, Carel, The Hanois Lighthouse, Quarterly Review of the Guernsey Society, Winter 1966