Les Murailles

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Les Murailles


H21LesMuraillesStMt1.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

G21LesMurailles&CatherineHouseStMt2.jpg

Property name

Les Murailles

Other names

  • Catherine House
  • 1 and 2 St Martin's Terrace

Location

Grande Route de Rozel, St Martin

Type of property

Pair of mid-19th century houses

Valuations

Catherine House sold for £525,000 in 2006

Families associated with the property

  • Collings: After the German Occupation a claim for £191 for damage to 1 St Martin's Terrace was made by the Rev D L Collings
  • L'Amy: In 1941 Paul Pierre Lamy, born in France in 1862, and his wife Amy, née Chamberlain (1866- ) were living at No 2 St Martin's Terrace

Datestones

1848 - No initials

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This 1848 house, paired to have the perception of a villa, contributes to the streetscape. It retains its grandeur and exterior historic features.

Built in 1848 for use by the senior managers of civil engineering contractors Jackson and Bean, who were overseeing the construction of the Admiralty Harbour at St Catherine. Later used as the Manse for St Martin's Methodist Church.

Requisitioned by German occupying forces in the 1940s for use with nearby battery, located in what is now the cemetery.

Semi-detached house, set back from road, paired with Catherine House. Two-storey with lower ground floor, three-bay with side, raised entrance wing set back from front elevation. Hipped slate roof with central rendered chimney shared with neighbour; rooflights.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs