Les Roques Barrées
It is said that the house takes its name from Celtic remains that apparently existed in the area in prehistoric times, either stones inscribed with rough markings or stones laid across each other to form a cromlech. These important structures, called elsewhere Trilithons or Lichavaens consist of two vertical stones, and one across the top, like a door-way.
The first Falla known to have lived in les Roques Barrées was Raulin (son of Thomas Falla and Perotyne Le Pastourel, capitaine of the parish and a vavasseur of la Cour du Fief de St Michel). He died in 1611, laving a widow Michelle Le Page, six sons and a daughter. His eldest son Tristan (married Collette Chechire) inherited the property. Another son, James (married Christine Chechire) founded the Falla branch of Bordeaux, now extinct.
His daughter Marie married Jean Hopin of St Malliėre and Paradis. Tristan Falla died in 1650 and was succeeded by his eldest son Raulin. Two years later in 1652, Raulin sold les Roques Barrées to a distant cousin, Jean Falla (son of Pierre of[La Lande and Anne Forting).
The descendents of this family owned les Roques Barrees for 249 years until its sale in 1901. The only son of Jean Falla and his wife Marie Chechire, Jean married Lawrence Henry and their only surviving daughter Judith, married Lawrence’s brother Jean Henry of Le Tertre in a double ceremony in Sark on 5 August 1673.
Jean and Lawrence’s eldest son, also Jean, who married Marie Lihou inherited the property. The property then passed to Jean’s grandson, Thomas, as his father, another Jean, married to Marie Lainé, died in the same year as his father, 1738.
Thomas married Rachel Ozanne of Les Morains, Castel (daughter of James), and died without issue in 1801. Thomas’s sister, Marie married her first cousin, Jean Falla of Les Maison au Comte (son of Michel Falla and Marie Falla); their son Thomas inherited Les Roques Barrées from his uncle.
Thomas married Marie Blondel of Le Frie Bâton (daughter of Leonard and Mathe Allez), and their son Thomas John Blondel Falla inherited the property on his father’s death in 1852. He did not marry and on his death in 1879 the property passed out of the Falla family to the children of his sister Emma Elizabeth, who had married Richard Winter Isemonger. It was his nieces who finally sold Les Roques Barrées in 1901.
ref Trans Soc Guern 1960 Some Vale houses and families - V. Collas