Little Court

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Little Court, St Lawrence


H20LittleCourtStL.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

H20LittleCourtStL2.jpg

Property name

Little Court

Location

Mont Cambrai, St Lawrence

Type of property

20th century listed building. Arts and Crafts style house

Valuations

Sold for £500,000 in 2014 [1]

Families associated with the property

  • Gilson: Before the Occupation the house was owned and occupied by Edward Gilson (1884- ), living there with his wife, Lilian Nora (1891- ) and daughters Cynthia Mavis and Yvonne Nora. Edward was governing director of the Lilywhite Laundry and Thatcher Ltd. The family evacuated to England on 21 June 1940, and the house was requisitioned by the Germans in September 1940. There are numerous records in Occupation files requisitioning furniture from Little Court to be used by the Germans elsewhere, and then for furniture and other items taken to the house.
  • Walker

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A notable early 20th century house retaining original fabric and details incorporating Arts and Crafts elements both internally and externally. The house was commissioned by the Walker family in 1923 and completed in 1924.

The architect was Arnold Dunbar Smith, who made his name in the late Victorian and Edwardian periods with designs in the Arts and Crafts idiom, notably the Heal building in Tottenham Court Road London and the Welsh National Museum in Cardiff. Little Court was commissioned relatively late in his career and he died a few years afterwards.

Before the family of the present owners purchased the house in 1959. the house has two previous owners (Walkers and Gilsons) and was occupied by the Germans during the war.

In 1972 the house was extended and modernised considerably, replacing windows, removing a back staircase, adding bathrooms and a new wing to the west.

Since 2009 a fresh renovation has reversed the 1970s "modernisation" and restored some of the pre-war idiom. These changes include restoring the original leaded metal-framed casement windows, reinstating doors, and exposing oak flooring.

Notes and references

  1. This price is unlikely to have represented the house's full market value
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs