Marais family page
Lizzie Mary Palmyra Marais (1905-1974) with her parents Joseph and Elizabeth, nee Drillot
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Marais means 'marsh', so the original holder of the name probably lived in or near marshy ground. Other derivations of the name in Jersey include Dumaresq (du Marais) and Saumarez, but the families are not connected.
Joseph Louis August Marais, born in France in 1814, moved to Jersey and established the island branch of the family.
Great War service
- Henry Peter Marais (1864- ) Mercantile Marine
- John Francis Marais (1871- ) (St Mt) son of Jean and Susanne, Private, Canada
- William Marais (1892-1917) (Gr) Able Seaman RN, killed in action at Ypres
- Ernest Edmund Marais (1886-1918) Private Dorset Regiment, killed in action, Palestine
- Joseph Alfred Marais (1873- ) (Gr) Corporal, Middlesex Regiment, wounded
- Philip Charles Marais (1883- ) (Gr) Private, Hampshire Regiment
William Marais (1892-1917) and Ernest Edmund (1886-1918), brothers who were both killed in action in the Great War