Mayne family page
This surname is also found in Jersey spelt Maine
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The likely origins of this English surname lie in two French sources. The first is the department of Maine, bordering Normandy, and the second is the French word for 'hand' - main. It is probably the latter which is more likely, the surname signifying someone who had creative hands.
It is likely that the original family came to Jersey from Devon, probably not until the 19th century.
The earliest Jersey records are the baptisms in St Helier of the children of Jean Main and Elizabeth Bott in the 1820s. In the same decade a daughter of John Mayne and Rachel was also baptised.
Maine family members who served in World War 1
- Thomas Charles Maine (1892- ) (London) OV, Captain, Royal Field Artillery
- Percival Frederick Maine (1900- ) (St H) OV, Bombardier, Honourable Artillery Company
These wills created by members of the Maine family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Main : Cecil Rycroft , of 9, Elizabeth Close, St Brelade - 01/Feb/1920 , 10/Aug/1965 , D/Y/B1/89/9
- Main : Emily Emma , nee Lamare, Valletta, Beach Road, St Saviour, widow 10/11/1939 Residue of personal estate bequeathed as follows: 1/4 to The Jersey Blind Society; 1/4 to The Little Sisters of the Poor; 1/4 to the Home for Aged & Infirm Women, and 1/4 to The Jersey Merchant Seamens Benefit Society - Unknown date , 15/Mar/1940 , D/Y/A/106/67
- Main : Jane Margaret , of First Tower, St Helier, widow of Auguste Francois Le Boutillier - 02/Feb/1897 , 02/Oct/1899 , D/Y/A/58/70
- Main : Kathleen Dick , wife of William Henry Bowers, of 2, Les Banques, Gorey, St Martin - 15/Aug/1972 , 26/Oct/1972 , D/Y/B1/182/10
- Main : Louisa , widow of George Hansford, of 2, Tranquil Place, Clearview Street, St Helier - 17/Mar/1966 , 17/Mar/1966 , D/Y/B1/96/11
- Main : Reuben , Valletta, Beach Road, St Saviour 10/05/1937 Bequeaths the residue of his personal estate to The Jersey Blind Society, The Little Sisters of The Poor, The Home for Aged and Infirm Women and The Jersey Merchant Seamen's Benefit Society in 4 equal parts - Unknown date , 23/Jun/1937 , D/Y/A/100/125
- Maine : Charles Thomas , St Helier 15/04/1939 Desires to be buried at Mont a l'Abbe Cemetery Bequeaths to the Jersey Blind Society £50; to the Little Sisters of the Poor £50; to Brig-y-Don £100 - Unknown date , 28/Feb/1940 , D/Y/A/106/53
- Maine : Percival Frederick , of Capri, La Rocque, St Clement - 11/Feb/1964 , 22/Apr/1971 , D/Y/B1/158/9
- Maine : Robert Ian , of Toi et Moi, Route Orange, St Brelade - 19/Dec/1978 , 19/Dec/1978 , D/Y/B1/291/27
- Maine : Thomas Charles , of Gilderoy, Green Road, St Clement - 04/Jul/1964 , 27/Jan/1969 , D/Y/B1/128/29
- Maine : THomas, of 82, Coie Terrace, St Helier 16 July 1881 - 16 July 1881, D/Y/A/42
- Mayne : Emily Jane , widow of James Symons, of 14, Dorset Street, St Helier and formerly of St Nazaire, Route des Genets, St Brelade - 10/Nov/1967 , 01/Nov/1972 , D/Y/B1/182/22
Jersey Evening Post photographer Ron Mayne, 1933-2016
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs