Millow family page
Three generations of Millow bakers at First Tower in 1905: John Tregarthan Millow (seated) aged about 80, WIlliam RIchard (about 46) and William Charles Paul (about 18)
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
There is some speculation that this surname has the same derivation as Mellow and Mellor, from ancient British moel bre, meaning 'bare hill', but this cannot be confirmed. The family tree below suggests that Millow is a corruption of Mulot, but we have not been able to confirm the earlier generations of the tree.
The name was first recorded in Jersey in the 1850s.
Millow family members who served in World War 1
- Alfred Edward Millow (1897- )(St H) son of William Adolphus and Amelia Delicia Luce, ex-RMIJ, Private, Hampshire Regiment
- Ernest Emile Millow (St H), Private, Yorkshire Regiment
- Percy Edward Millow (1896- ) (St H) son of Emile and Julia Ann, Private RAMC
- Sidney George Millow (1892- ) (St H) son of Emile and Julia Ann, Able Seaman RN, HMS Malaya, ex-RMIJ
- William Charles Paul Millow (1887- ) (St H) son of William Richard and Lydia Ann Dart, Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery
These wills created by members of the Millow family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- William Millow, First Tower, St Aubin Road, St Helier - 23 October 1946, D/Y/A/116
- William Millow, Inglenook, First Tower, St Helier - 3 May 1934, D/Y/A/96