Mitchell family page
Francis Mitchell married Esther Elizabeth Le Dain in St Helier in 1796
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The surname is derived from the personal name Michael, meaning 'he who is like the Lord'
The name first appears in Jersey baptism records in 1750, but there is then a gap until the end of the century and the early 1900s before any family becomes established.
- Michel, same derivation but an entirely different family in Jersey
Great War service
- George Mitchell (St P), Private, Hampshire Regiment
- Alfred Mitchell (St H), Private, RJGB
- Edward Thomas Mitchell (1896- ) (St H) son of Edward Thomas and Kate Hannah Le Sauteur, Gunner, Royal Field Artillery
- Violet Mabel Mitchell (1901- )daughter of Frederick and Fanny, British Red Cross
- William Frederick Mitchell (1900- ) (St S) son of Edward Thomas and Kate Hannah, Private, Recruit Distribution Battalion
These wills created by members of the family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Amelia Mitchell, Faislea, Samares, St Clement - 10 July 1940, D/Y/A/107
- Beatrice Mitchell, 6 Mulcaster Street, St Helier - 24 October 1934, D/Y/A/96
- Charles Mitchell, 64 Calle de Emparon, Veracruz, Mexico - 6 August 1925, D/Y/A/85
- Henrietta Mitchell, wife of Kentish Stevens Mitchell, Elm Villa, Beaumont - 2 April 1908, D/Y/A/67
- John Mitchell, Lieutenant in Captain Taylor's Company in Jersey 12 October 1741 - D/Y/A/7
- Livingstone Mitchell of St Brelade's Bay - 30 May 1889, D/Y/A/48
- Mary-Ann Mitchell of St Brelade, bequeaths to the poor of St Brelade 10s - 9 February 1893, D/Y/A/52
- Robert Mitchell of St Helier, bequeaths to Alexander and Henry Mitchell all his real estate including land in Lacklevery, co Monaghan, Ireland 31 August 1829 - D/Y/A/21
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs