Moisan family page
Francois Louis Moisan, born in Plouguernevel, Cotes d'Armor, north Brittany, came to Jersey in 1894 and met Marie Francoise Therin, born in nearby Ploeuc-sur-Lie in 1874, who had arrived two years earlier. They married and had five children, Florrie Marie (1898- ), Jean Marie (1900- ), Marcel Francois (1902- ), Dorothy Marie (1904- ) and Lizzie Marie (1909- ). Francois and Marie lived mainly in the Noirmont and Portelet areas, with a spell in St Mary from 1932 to 1937
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name is derived from the baptismal name Moise, Hebrew in origin and very popular throughout Brittany. There are a number of variations found in different departments, and elsewhere in France.
- Moisson (may not be a variant, but included here for convenience)
- Le Moisson (may not be a variant, but included here for convenience)
Great War service
- Alfred Joseph Moisan (1894- ) (Gr) ex-RMIJ, L-Sgt, Royal Irish Rifles
- John Charles Moisan (1889- ) (Gr) Driver, RFA
- Peter Francis Moisan (1892- ) (Gr) Driver, RFA
- Victor Peter Francis Moisan (1887- ) (Gr) Petty Officer, RN (may not be in this family - tree shows Victor Jean)
These wills created by members of the Moisan family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Victor Moisan, Grouville - 21 February 1935, D/Y/A/97
- Victorine Moisan, Longueville, St Saviour, widow of Jean Baptiste Bienvenu - 25 May 1938, D/Y/A/102
- Arthur Moisson 7 December 1748 - D/Y/A/7
- Catherine Moisson, widow of Isaac Martin of St Saviour 29 March 1743 - D/Y/A/7
- Marie Moisson of St Helier s - 4 October 1865, D/Y/A/32
Joseph Louis Moysan, born in Jersey on 30 March 1891, married in London on 3 March 1921 after serving in the Great War and died in Geelong, Australia in 1961. He had 16 years service with the Union Castle Line from the age of 13. He was on the ss Soudan, which was a hospital ship off the Gallipoli Peninsular
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs