If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Mon Plaisir Cottage
Rue de Bel Air, St Mary
Type of property
18th century farm with later development, but 15th century origins
- Sold for £463,000 in 2005 and for £425,000 later in the same year
Families associated with the property
- Appleby: The two datestones below are not interpreted in the Datestone Register but are undoubtedly for the Appleby family of St Mary. Thomas Appleby married for a second time to Mary Elizabeth Le Cras, known as Elizabeth, in St Mary in 1799. Their son Thomas, known as Tom, married Elizabeth de Caen in 1818.
- Arthur: The 1901 census shows farmer John Le Couteur Arthur (1860- ) and his wife Mary Louisa, nee Queree (1856- ) living here with their daughters Mabel (1886- ), Marie (1897- ) and Louisa (1900- ) and son Herbert (1899- )
- Therin: Peter Therin (1899- ), his wife Marguerite, nee Connan (1911- ) and their son Cyril (1934- ) were living here in 1941 
- Michel: Clifford George Michel (1918- ), his wife Lorraine Lucille, nee Hamon (1920- ) and their children Clifford George (1939- ), Michael John (1940- ) and Gloria Ann (1943- ) were living at Mon Plaisir Cottage in 1941 
- TAB ♥ ELC 1823 - For Thomas Appleby and Elizabeth Le Cras
- TAB ♥♥ EDC - No date. For Thomas Appleby and Elizabeth de Caen
Historic Environment Record entry
An historic farmstead of principally 18-19th century character, with much earlier circa 1500 origins. Mon Plaisir retains a cohesive character and its ancillary structures include a locally characteristic 19th century combination farm building with glazed upper windows, and good quality stone-built pigsties.
A building is shown on this site on the Richmond Map of 1795. The building dates from 15-16th century, developed in the 18th century and refronted in 1823. A farm group with L-shaped plan, comprising a south-facing farmhouse attached to the working buildings - an outbuilding and pigsties to the west, with a single-storey outbuilding range projecting forward on the east side; all enclosing a front garden and yard.
21st century residential development to rear.
Old Jersey Houses
Not included despite very early origins. One datestone included in Vol Two list with incorrect initial
Notes and references
- ↑ Although we have little doubt that Peter was descended from one of the Therin families which came to Jersey from the Brittany town of Ploeuc-sur-Lie we have not been able to place him in any of our Therin trees
- ↑ Clifford was the son of Eugene Peter Michel, a farm labourer. We have not been able to place them in our Michel family tree, or find any more information about this family
- ↑ Shown in OJH list as ELG, corrected in Datestone Register