Morel family page
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This name derives from the ancient French word meaning brown-skinned (Moorish) but the words was also used to mean a dark coloured cloth, so the surname may have indicated somebody's apparel as well as their skin.
It is a common name in Normandy and there are records of Rogerus Morel in 1198 and Jenah Morel in 1261.
Morellus is also found from 1080 as a given name and may have derived from the Gallo-Roman Maurellus and developed into Maurice and Morice.
The name is also found in Scotland as early as 1074, although the Jersey Morels almost certainly came from France.
The name features in the Assize Roll of 1309
The name first appears in St Saviour's baptism register in 1543. These individuals are known to predate the registers. Strangely for a family which has been present in the island for so long, and is still there today, there are only 83 recorded baptisms from 1543 to 1915.
- Robert Morel was born in Trinity about 1448. He had a daughter Catherine in 1460 who married Guilleaume Binet in 1479
- Another Robert Morel was botn in St Martin or Grouville about 1450
- Cattherine Morel was born in Trinity in 1474 and married Guilleaume Binet
- Henry Morel was born in Grouville about 1502 and married Michelle Amy in 1545
- Perronnelle Morel, born in Grouville about 1522, was the daughter of Jean (1500- ) and married Guillaume Bisson in October 1542.
- Catherine Morel was born in St Martin about 1529
- Morel, 1299
- Mourel 1607
- Morell 1505
- Moreaus 1331
Great War service
Sons of Jean Baptiste Morel and Marie Catherine
- Emile Henry Morel (1895-1915) Rifleman, King's Royal Rifle Corps, killed in action, father died same day
- Albert Paul Morel (1890- ) (St J) Driver, Canadian Artillery
- Frank A Morel (St H), Gunner, RFA
- George Emile Morel MSM (1887- ) (St H), Battery Sergeant Major RGA, wounded
- Jack Morel (1882- ) Mercantile Marine
These wills created by members of the Morel family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Morel : Arthur James , of Denehurst, Millbrook - 30/Apr/1952 , 23/Mar/1964 , D/Y/B1/78/54
- Morel : Elizabeth , widow of Jean de la Perrelle - 08/Apr/1907 , 28/Dec/1908 , D/Y/A/67/113
- Morel : Emily Rachel , of Stuart Villa, Millbrook, St Lawrence - 31/Aug/1949 , 15/Apr/1954 , D/Y/B1/24/17
- Morel : Francois Marie , ... - 06/Aug/1910 , 21/Jun/1924 , D/Y/A/84/82
- Morel : Francoise Elizabeth , daughter of Louise Morel of St Helier 16/12/1778 Desires to be buried in St Helier's Cemetery Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £2 sterling, to Susanne, Marie Anne, Elizabeth, and Madelaine Morel, £50 each in stock of 3% consoli annuities in England - makes further bequests of stock - Unknown date , 02/Aug/1783 , D/Y/A/13/90
- Morel : Ida , nee Malzard, La Fantaisie, Millbrook, St Lawrence - 10/May/1932 , 14/May/1936 , D/Y/A/99/12
- Morel : Jeanne Marie , widow of Alexandre Francois Cotillard of Penarth House, St Peter - 15/Nov/1945 , 19/Jan/1951 , D/Y/B1/7/75
- Morel : Jessie Louise , 1 Stuart Villas, St St Lawrence, temporarily residing at 31 The Walk, Cardiff - 15/Mar/1930 , 07/Apr/1930 , D/Y/A/90/60
- Morel : John Edward , 2 Stuart Villas, Millbrook - 17/Jun/1897 , 17/Jul/1924 , D/Y/A/84/92
- Morel : Joseph Marie , of Oaklands, St Mary - 14/Feb/1959 , 30/Jan/1967 , D/Y/B1/104/45
- Morel : Louis , ... - 08/Mar/1723 , 24/May/1723 , D/Y/A/5/87
- Morel : Magdelaine , ... - 25/Jan/1738 , 18/Feb/1755 , D/Y/A/9/4
- Morel : Thomas , of St Lawrence 31/08/1784 Bequeaths to the poor of St Lawrence, £10 tournois of the order of the King - Unknown date , 17/Sep/1814 , D/Y/A/18/122
- Morel : Thomas Ernest , of Bowness, Avenue du Petit Mont, St Helier - 19/Oct/1972 , 23/Aug/1976 , D/Y/B1/245/28
- Morell : Anne , ... - 31/Jan/1696 , 10/Feb/1699 , D/Y/A/2/84
- Morell : Eugene Marie , of Leoville, St Ouen - 09/Mar/1920 , 20/Dec/1955 , D/Y/B1/33/28
The grave of Great War casualty Emile Henry Morel at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Poperinge, Belgium