Morvan family page
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is a Breton surname, derived from the same personal name, but exactly what it means is uncertain.
There are no Morvan baptisms in Jersey up to 1915. The name first appears in the St John birth register in the 1870s.
However, there is a marriage on record earlier in the 19th century, and the same couple seem to have married twice within 12 months.
- Pierre Victor Morvant married Zoe Adrienne Goyou de Vaucouleur in St Helier on 19 December 1812
- Pierre Morvan, of Hennebon, Brittany, married Zoe Adrienne de Gouvon in St Helier on 18 October 1813
Guillaume Morvan and Francois Berthelot married in St John in 1872 and are presumably the parents and grandparents of those born in the parish later in the decade and into the 1890s.
Great War service
- Francis Morvan (1895- ) (St H) son of Francois Louis and Francoise, Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
- Francis John Morvan (1880- ) (St P) son of Guillaume and Marie, Driver, RFA
- Joseph Paul Morvan (189- ) (St H) son of Francois Louis and Francoise, Private, Worcestershire Regiment
- Lucien Morvan (1894- ) (St H) son of Olliver and Marie, Private, East Yorkshire Regiment
This will created by a member of the Morvan family is now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, date and reference number shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Marie Morvan of St John, widow of Jean Audrain - 10 June 1891, D/Y/A/50
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs