Moss family page
George Moss married Jeanne Nicolle in St Helier in 1786
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Although the Irish family name has an entirely different derivation, linked ultimately to Saint Mona, the English version has more obvious origins, being derived not from the plant but the old English mos, meaning bog or morass, referring to somebody liviny by a swamp or peat bog.
The name may also derive from Moss(e), the normal medieval form of the Hebrew given name Moses.
The first member of the family to arrive in Jersey was Robert, who married Judith Cartwright around 1772.
Great War service
- Walter Moss (1888-1919) husband of Eunice Florence Moss, of St Helier, Private, Royal Sussex Regiment, killed
- Charles Henry de Vere Moss (1898- ) (India) son of James Frederick and Eva Mary de Vere Gookey, OV, Lieutenant, India
- Eric de Vere Moss (1896-1980) (India) son of James Frederick and Eva Mary de Vere Gookey, OV, Captain, India
- John Edward Moss (1882- ) (St H) son of John and Cecilia Caroline, Corporal, North Staffordshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Moss family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- John Moss - 28 July 1888, D/Y/A/47
- George Moss, 22 Regent Road - 12 February 1902, D/Y/A/61
- Louisa Moss, 33 Belmont Road, St Helier - 7 June 1922, D/Y/A/82
- Susan Moss, Havre des Pas, widow of William Croad - 11 May 1920, D/Y/A/80
- Mary-Ann Moss, St Helier bequeaths to Vauxhall Baptist Church £20 - 22 April 1908, D/Y/A/67
- Margary Moss, wife of Francis William Le Brocq, Pavilion Hotel, Grève de Lecq, St Ouen - 6 March 1912, D/Y/A/71
- Catherine Mosse, Stanley House, Havre des Pas - 15 September 1928, D/Y/A/88