Murray family page
Alice Julia Murray
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname either comes from the Gaelic for 'seaman', or is a derivation of merry
In 1747 George Murray, a soldier, was the first of several to marry local girls, when he and Elizabeth Le Gros were married at St Martin. There is no record of this couple, nor soldier James Murray and Philippine de la Cour, who married in St Lawrence in 1780, having children in Jersey.
Hugh, another soldier, married Anne Malzard in St Saviour in 1801 and their daughter Anne was baptised in St Helier two years later.
These wills created by members of the family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Murray : Alexander Thomas Ramsay , of 21, Cranston Road, Forest Hill, Kent, - 31/Mar/1883 , 07/Feb/1899 , D/Y/A/58/11
- Murray : Isabella Stewart , native of St Helier, of Garthland Nursing Home, Baronald, Lanark - 16/Jun/1956 , 07/Dec/1964 , D/Y/B1/82/34
- Murray : James Florence , of Norcott House, St Saviour, retired Lt Colonel - 31/Aug/1888 , 26/Oct/1893 , D/Y/A/52/80
- Murray : James Robertson , of St Austell, Green Street, St Helier and formerly of St Anne's, Mont a l'Abbe, St Helier - 19/Oct/1957 , 07/Nov/1978 , D/Y/B1/289/2
- Murray : James Somerville , of 9, Arcadia Road, Umtali, Rhodesia - 13/Nov/1961 , 22/May/1973 , D/Y/B1/190/43
- Murray : Kenneth Crosthwaite , of Upper Cranmore, Heyshott, Midhurst, Sussex - 18/Oct/1971 , 19/Jan/1973 , D/Y/B1/185/13
- Murray : Margaret Ellen , widow of Jordan Constantine John, of La Frenaie, Herupe, St John - 20/Jan/1976 , 18/Sep/1978 , D/Y/B1/286/8
- Murray : Mary , of 'Market Inn' Hilgrove Lane, St Helier : - 06/Mar/1883 , 06/Apr/1883 , D/Y/A/43/39
- Murray : Thomas Frederick , of Hilda's Cafe, London Road, Blackwater, Surrey and formerly of 43, The Garth, Aldershot Road, Ash, Surrey - 06/Jul/1960 , 31/Jul/1962 , D/Y/B1/70/21
- Murray : William Henry , Montrose, Grands Vaux, meat purveyor - 23/Dec/1915 , 16/Jan/1919 , D/Y/A/79/6
- Murray : William James , of The Nest, Havre des Pas, - 20/Sep/1893 , 27/Feb/1896 , D/Y/A/55/17
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs