Newman family page
Hubert Charles James Newman, who was the son of George Willoughby Augustus Newman and Elizabeth Mary Ann, (nee Mitchelmore). George was in the army and was posted to Jersey. He was born in Somerset and Elizabeth in Devon. Hubert was the seventh of eight children, five of them born in Jersey. The fifth child, Richard, stayed in Jersey and was a postman. The youngest, John, joined the army as a boy soldier in Jersey and fought throughout the Great War. Hubert is believed to have emigrated to Australia
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Quite simply someone new to a particular place, from the Anglo-Saxon neowe and mann
The name first appears in Jersey church records in 1816, with the baptism of Elizabeth, daughter of John Newman and Elizabeth. However, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Newman and Elizabeth Payn, who was baptised in St Martin in 1818, was born in 1815.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Arthur Walter Newman (1892- ) (St H) son of Walter Francis and Mary Ada Arthur, Gunner, RFA
- Edward Charles Newman (1902- ) (St H) ,son of Edward Charles and Mary Jane Houguez Boy RN, HMS Impregnable
- Edward Charles Newman (1876- ) possibly father of above, Able Seaman, Mercantile Marine, ss Ibex
- John Hawkins Elliott Newman (1896-1973) (probably St S), son of George Augustus Newman and Elizabeth Mary Ann, nee Mitchelmore, Sergeant, King's Own North Lancaster Regiment,
- Richard Chambury Newman (St H), Private, RJGB
Notable family members
- Orpheus Newman, inventor of life jacket
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs