Nicholson family page
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This is an English surname which has been present in Jersey since the late 17th century, and possibly earlier. It means 'son of Nicholas', which is ultimately a biblical name. Introduced into Europe by returning Crusader knights from the Holy Land in the 12th century, it derives from the ancient Greek name "Nikolaos", which translates as "victory-people".
It appears that two Nicholson families, possibly with no connection, became established in Jersey around the turn of the 17th century.
These wills created by members of the Nicholson family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Nicholson : Bertie , of 52, Cranbrook Road, York - 23/May/1969 , 23/May/1969 , D/Y/B1/132/40
- Nicholson : Claude Terry , of Sandybrook Hospital, Grouville Annexe, Grouville and formerly of Inglehurst, Nelson Avenue, St Helier - 16/Mar/1970 , 08/Mar/1973 , D/Y/B1/187/14
- Nicholson : Elsie , widow of Cyril Horsfall and wife of Albert Charles Clark, of 1, Le Douettin Flats, Les Marais, Grouville - 25/May/1977 , 25/May/1977 , D/Y/B1/259/7
- Nicholson : Emily Frances , Marigold Cottage, Route des Genets, St Brelade 20/04/1937 ; if Grace Beatrice Nicholson predeceases her, bequeaths £50 to the Church Missionary Society - Unknown date , 01/Dec/1945 , D/Y/A/114/160
- Nicholson : Georgina Louisa , nee de Garis, Lynden, Saumsmarez Road, St Martin, Guernsey 16/12/1942 Bequeaths £100 to the Guernsey Country District Nursing Association, £100 to the Guernsey Branch of the St John's Ambulance Brigade 1 booklet; seal - Unknown date , 24/Apr/1946 , D/Y/A/115/131
- Nicholson : Grace Beatrice , of Marigold Cottage, Route des Genets, St Brelade - 07/Dec/1945 , 13/Jan/1956 , D/Y/B1/33/54
- Nicholson : Joesph , Captain and Paymaster on half pay of H M's 75th Regiment 30/06/1857 Bequeaths to Anne Charlotte Nicholson, shares in the Provincial Bank of Ireland - Unknown date , 20/Aug/1857 , D/Y/A/29/39
- Nicholson : Marie Neilson , wife of Frederick Russell La Fargue, of the Links Hotel, Grouville Desires to be buried in her burial plot at St Brelade's Cemetery - 12/Mar/1941 , 13/Jan/1954 , D/Y/B1/22/27
- Nicholson : Mary Ethel , of Mont Meru, Les Ruisseaux Estate, St Brelade and formerly of 12, Kemplay Road, Hampstead, London - 31/Jan/1944 , 15/Jun/1964 , D/Y/B1/80/12
- Nicholson : Robert Dring , of 5, Stopford Terrace, Bath Street, St Helier - 19/Jul/1849 , 26/Feb/1851 , D/Y/A/27/113
- Nicholson : Thomas William , late Lieutenant Colonel in the 5th Regiment 31/07/1863 Bequeaths to Sarah Meadows Nicholson and Edward C Thorpe 200 shares in the North of Scotland Banking Company To Martha Hunter Nicholson and John Charles Horne all his shares in the Glasgow and South Western Railway Company To William H Abbott all his shares in the Dundee and Arbroath Railway Co - Unknown date , 31/Aug/1864 , D/Y/A/32/48
- Nicholson : William , of Haut des Escaliers, Market Hill, St Aubin, St Brelade and formerly of 5a, West Lea, First Tower, St Helier - 27/Apr/1962 , 12/Jan/1970 , D/Y/B1/140/39
- La Chaumiere, St Lawrence
Thomas Bone Campbell (1867-1936) of Ontario and his wife Florence Isabella Nicholson, born in St Helier in 1868, the daughter of Henry Luscombe Nicholson (1832-1876) and Matilda Ann, nee Cort (1830-1894) who emigrated to Canada in 1874, with children Ethel, Henry, Fred and George