No 2 Broad Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


2 Broad Street, St Helier


LeSueurMonument.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

600px</div>

Property name

2 Broad Street

Location

Broad Street, St Helier

Type of property

18th century town house

Valuations

No recent transactions

GM1881Advert77.jpg
Sc18Ad1840Shave.jpg

Families and businesses associated with the property

In 1833-34 the property was occupied by tobacconist George Helier Anthoine, born in Grouville in 1796, the son of George and Susanne Canivet who married in the same parish that year. George Helier married Magdeleine Jaffrey in 1816 and they had six children: Eliza (1817- ), Emelia (1821- ), Mary (1821- ), Philip (1822- ), George (1826- ) and John (1831- ). The twin girls were milliners.

The 1841 census records the family here, but George is now described as a tinker (a mender of pots and pans).

An advertisement in 1840 shows J Shave at No 2, manufacturing saddles, harnesses and trunks, but we have been unable to find any other mention of this business. He was presumably the same saddler, Joseph Shave, who was in business at 28 Halkett Place in 1851.

In 1851 the property was occupied by Edward Esnouf (1821- ), an ironmonger and tinplate maker, living with his widowed half sister Ann Godfray (1806- ) and brother Philip (1824- ). They were the sons of Jean Edward Esnouf and Anne Le Cras Durell. By 1861 Edward had married Sophia Louise Collins (1834- ), of Guernsey. They had four children: Edward James Henry (1856- ), Frederick Richard (1857- ), Philip Durell (1858- ) amd Emma Louisa (1861- ). Edward was still a tinker in 1861, but also described as a landed proprietor - perhaps following the death of his father.

Stationer Eliza Walter, born in 1804 and widowed, was at No 2 in 1871, followed by a Miss Stoneman three years later. In 1880 Frederick Hollinshead, a silversmith and jeweller was listed at No 2, but he would soon move to 35 King Street.

Draper Frank Helier Le Rossignol appears to have moved in the opposite direction, starting at 43 King Street. The Le Rossignol family ran the business until about 1910, when it was followed by Au Gagne Petit, until the 1950s, and then Le Poidevin's.

The advertisement shown here is dated 1881, when J A Du Mosch was in business as a tobacconist. He is not listed in the census of that year, so presumably did not live in the premisses.

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

18th century property, cut back and remodelled when New Cut was created in early 1870s.

Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Coin es Anes appears on maps from 1700 onwards as a small yard off Broad Street. It appears to have been widened and knocked through to link with New Street in the early 1870s. It is shown in its present form on a map of 1875.

Corner building. Three-storey, four bays round curved corner. Half hipped slate roof. Dormer to southwest and window to southeast. Third storey set back behind parapet.

Side entrance in New Cut, single pile. A mahogany staircase runs to first floor only, it has a round handrail, turned balusters and heavy turned newel-post of circa 1870/80. From first floor to attic level a lighter doglegged staircase with flat-top handrail, stick balusters, and bat shaped newel-post, the top newel-post is batten shaped of circa 1820.

Notes and references

H22BroadStreetNo2.jpg
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs