44 King Street
The 1851 census shows No 44 occupied by Grocer Charles Nicolle and his wife Elizabeth, who had been there at least from 1834. In 1861 the property is unoccupied at the time of the census.
In 1871 No 44 was occupied by bootmaker James Potter (1833- ) from New Brunswick, his Jersey-born wife Mary (1821- ), and children James (1856- ), Fred (1859- ), Lydia (1862- ), Florence (1864- ) and niece Emily Bailey (1855- ). Although the census shows the children as born in St Helier, there is no record of their being baptised there.
Eau de Cologne
By 1874, as indicated in the advertisement below, the business had been taken over by George Luce for his eau-de-cologne business, which would remain there until 1900, when the shop had become established next door at No 42.
By 1900 the premises were occupied by Thomas Couch (1841- ), a hosier from Cornwall, although the exact occupancy over several censuses and in almanac records is clouded by the appearance of a No 44½ King Street, which seemed to be devoted largely to residential accommodation.
No 44½ is present in some records and absent in others, and seems to have been reabsorbed into No 44 in the 1920s. In 1920 it was shown to be occupied by Hipps Ltd, who were in Queen Street by 1930.
From 1903 to to about 1912, No 44 was occupied first by F Le Poidevin, hosier, and then by J Le Poidevin. We do not know the connection between these Le Poidevins, nor their relationship to father and son James, who were drapers across the street. The James Le Poidevin who came to Jersey from Guernsey and traded at Nos 43 and 49, had a father Frederick, but there is no record of his living and working in Jersey.
- 1834 - C Nicolle, grocer
- 1874, 80, 85 - Luce's Eau de Cologne
- 1890 - J Dupre Eau de Cologne manufacturer
- 1900 - T Couch
- 1903 - F Le Poidevin, hosier
- 1912 - J Le Poidevin
- 1920 - Vibert and Burnham
- 1930-1990 - Freeman, Hardy and Willis shoes
- 2000 - Miss Selfridge
- 2010 - Clinton cards