No 55 King Street

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search


W16StreetLamp.png


55 King Street


WWRoseAd.jpg


1880s advert for W W Rose


2013
A somewhat more elaborate architectural style for the upper stories than most King Street premises

No 55 was home to a succession of tea dealers from the mid-19th century, as shown by almanac street and commercial directories, because it was unoccupied at the time of the 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses.

Thomas Wilcox

The 1852 Post Office Directory shows it occupied by grocer and tea dealer Thomas Wilcox.

In an 1874 almanac the premises are shown to be occupied by J M Knight's Hong Kong Tea Stores. This was probably James Martin Knight, son of William and Margaret Sinclair.

William Rose

In 1880 William Rose had established his stationery business there, combining this with an agency for Li-Quor Tea Company. The 1891 census shows William (1846- ) with wife Amelia (1851- ), daughters Alice (1872- ) and Edith (1878- ) and sons Charles (1875- ), John (1886- ) and Herbert (1889- ). William and Amelia were both born in England, as were Alice and Charles. The other children were born after the family arrived in Jersey in about 1877.

The Rose family were followed by Mrs Selina Stevens, who ran a fancy goods repository for a short time, before William Henry Saunders established his hosiery business before 1911. The census of that year shows William (1858- ), who came to Jersey from the Isle of Wight, living at No 55 with his eight-year-old son William. William Henry is described as 'married' in the census return, but there is no sign of his wife.

Li-quor Tea had an interesting marketing ploy. A voucher was given with each packet of tea and after purchasing 3 lb the buyer was entitled to choose any book from the selection on offer - 'Good Standard Works by the Best Authors'. These volumes were published by Li-quor Tea of London, founded in 1879.

It is not known how long Mr Rose was in business - certainly until 1930 - but by the start of the Occupation Louise Ladies outfitters were at No 55, and they remained there until the late 'sixties, when the property was acquired by expanding shoe shop Beghin's.

Chronology

  • 1852 - Thomas A Wilcox, grocer and tea dealer
  • 1874 - J M Knight's Hong Kong Tea Stores
  • 1879-1890 - W W Rose, stationer and Liquor Tea Company agent
  • 1900-1903 - Mrs Selina Stevens, fancy repository
  • 1910-1930 - William H Saunders, hosier
  • 1940-1965 - Louise Ladies outfitters
  • 1970-1990 - Beghin's
  • 2000 - Rare clothes
  • 2010 - French Connection
Views
Personal tools
Navigation
Toolbox
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs