Noel family page
The Noel family has been present in Jersey from the early 14th century to the present day
Marie Ann Noel, née Gaudin
George Edward Noel
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The family name developed from the given name Noel, which is the French word for Christmas, dating back to before the 10th Century. It is a name which has been commonly used for boys born at Christmas.
The word is derived from the Latin natalis via Gallo-Roman natale and ancient French nouel.
The name is common in Normandy, with Hugo Noel being recorded in 1198.
The name appears in Jersey in the Assize Roll of 1309. Baptism records start in the last decade of the 16th century, but there are other earlier records of the following:
- Julian Noel was born in Jersey about 1525. His daughter Katherine (1552- ) married Hugh Perchard
- Nicholas Nouel was born in St Martin about 1569 and married Catherine Mallet, daughter of Philippe and Frances Baudains. Nicholas died in 1625. He and Catherine had a son Noel (1595-1645) and daughters Thomasse (1600- ) and Catherine (1603- ).
- Noe married Pauline Guerdain on 20 December 1626. They had five sons, Nicholas (1630-1638), Nicholas (1640- ), Aaron (1638-1638), Denis (1633-1692) and Aaron (1644-1686) and a daughter Marthe (1628- ).
- Denis married Esther Le Breton and the second Aaron married Elizabeth Filleul on 20 December 1676. They had a son Philippe (1678-1688) and a daughter Marthe (1680-1749).
- Elizabeth Noel, who married Michel Horman in St Martin on 4 December 1601 was born about 1574
- Edmund Noel was born in Jersey about 1587
- Clement Nouel was born in Jersey about 1590 and married Elizabeth Perchard in St Martin in January 1615
- Jeanne Noel was born in St Martin in about 1590 and married a Le Riche on 21 November 1611 in that parish
- Philipine Noel was born in St Saviour, Guernsey in about 1579 and died there in April 1647. She was the daughter of Louys and married Colas Thoraude in 1601.
- Noel, 1299
- Nouel, 1309
Jersey family trees
There is considerable overlap between some of these trees but near duplicates have been included when they are from different sources
- Descendants of Edward Noel (1767-1849)
- Descendants of Julien Noel (1480- )
- Descendants of Nicholas Noel
- Descendants of Nycollas Noel
- Descendants of Jean Noel
- Descendants of Jean Noel - 2
- Descendants of Jean Noel - 3
- Descendants of Mathieu Noel
- Descendants of Noe Noel
- Descendants of Michel Noel
- Descendants of Edmons Noel
- Descendants of Jean Noel - 4
- Descendants of Michel Noel 2
- Descendants of Clement Noel - 2 Added 2016
- Descendants of Clement Noel Added 2016
- Descendants of Edemons Noel:Corrects top of above tree Added 2019
Great War service
- Noel and Porter, King Street department store
- H Noel was a grocer selling wines and spirits at 25 King Street in the 1830s
- Hugh Noel was a grocer at 22 Halkett Place in the 1840s and then across the street at No 23 in the 1850s
Click on any image to see the full-size version
Alexandrine Noel, nee Delphine, wife of Henry, of St Helier, was convicted by the Royal Court in 1914 of prostitution and keeping a disorderly house. She was sentenced to two months prison with hard labour
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty William James Noel at Puchevillers British Cemetery, near Abbeville
The grave of Great War casualty Alfred Felix Noel at Dud Corner Cemetery, Loos
The grave of Great War casualty Stanley John Noel at Le Touret Military Cemetery, Richebourg-L'Avoue
The grave of Great War casualty Walter Noel at Le Vertannoy British Cemetery, Hinges, near Bethune