Norris family page
Arthur Henry Norris (1864-1919) was born in St Helier, the son of James (1820- ) and Sarah, nee Hansford (1823- ). He married Julia Ellen Le Heron in St Helier in 1900, and after the birth of their first daughter Maude Jeanne the following year, they emigrated to Canada in 1902, where they had a second daughter Helen
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The name comes from norreis, Norman-French for northerner, and may have indicated either a Norseman or Viking, or later a man living at the north house, or on the northern side of a village, from the old English nor and hus.
As far as Jersey is concerned, this is a West Country name. William Norris from Devon married Elizabeth Payn in St Saviour in 1781, followed by Robert, from the same county, and possibly his brother, and Rachel Bertram in St Saviour in 1785. John Hutchingson Norris, from Dorset, and Margaret Rogers, from Kent, were married in St Helier in 1828, and the following year, James Norris, from Plymouth, and Ann Dawe, from Stonehouse, were married at the same church.
Great War service
These wills created by members of the family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Norris : Aubrey Frank , of Homestead, Petite Route des Mielles, St Brelade - 20/Jul/1973 , 03/Aug/1973 , D/Y/B1/193/40
- Norris : Cedric William Davis , of Fern Cottage, Don Road, St Saviour - 26/Jan/1973 , 26/Jan/1973 , D/Y/B1/185/39
- Norris : Colin McKenzie , 22 Lansdowne Crescent, Glasgow, Engineer Captain, Royal Navy, retired - 07/Jan/1920 , 14/Sep/1929 , D/Y/A/89/167
- Norris : George James Frederick , of No 52a, Garden lane, St Helier and formerly of Montague Cottage, Common Lane, St Helier - 22/Oct/1960 , 27/Sep/1979 , D/Y/B1/306/40
- Norris : Hubert John , of Le Rivage, Samares - 17/Jul/1946 , 02/Oct/1953 , D/Y/B1/21/22
- Norris : Sybil Kathleen , wife of Edmund Philip Lempriere, of Flat 68, Le Clos Orange, La Moye, St Brelade and formerly of Homestead, Petite Route des Mielles, St Brelade - 18/Apr/1961 , 07/May/1980 , D/Y/B1/322/22
- Norris : William John , Oakville, Bagatelle Road, St Saviour - 21/Jun/1938 , 13/Feb/1946 , D/Y/A/115/49