This house was formerly known as Maison du Moignan.  On the east chimney there is a sundial with the initials HDM and the date 1720, plus a shield showing the Dumaresq arms quartered with de Carteret. At the base ECMdeC 1884 hasbeen added, for Edouard Charles Malet de Carteret. The de Carteret family inherited the property through Jeanne Le Maistre, nee Dumaresq.
By the gate is an heraldic stone with Payn trefoils, dated 1714, and an incision on a corner stone has HDM.
- "Jeanne Le Maistre (1733-1806) was the daughter of the 1731 marriage of Debora Dumaresq and Jean Dumaresq of Augres (1705-1747). Debora was the daughter of Helier Dumaresq, Constable of St Clement ( -1725) and Jeanne Collas. Helier was the son of Clement Dumaresq, Constable from 1702 to 1705, who married Marie de Carteret, daughter of Philippe de Carteret, of Grouville, and Marie de la Place. In 1723 the Royal court ordered Helier to appear before the court of the small Fief au Sauteur, which belonged to the widow of Francois Payn. This is not a very convincing explanation of the Payn arms on the gatepost, and a more likely oneis that here, as elsewhere, the Dumaresqs followed the curious custom of using the Payn trefoils instead of their own three cockle shells.
Notes and references
- ↑ OJH II, 170