Osment family page
Doris Osment (1891-1987), d of William Herbert (1866-1952) and Caroline Rance, m Albert Allen, emigrated to Canada
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This Anglo-Saxon surname is derived from the old English personal name Osmaer, from oss, meaning god, and maer, fame.
The name first appeared in Jersey church records in 1839 with the baptism of William Henry, son of David and Jane. ALthough all the nine children of Edward Osment and Elizabeth Britton (see tree below) are supposed to have been born in Jersey between 1844 and 1880, the first six do not appear in the St Helier baptism register.
Great War service
'Father and sons
- George James Frederick Osmand (1873-1915) (Devonport) husband of Eliza Osmand, nee Clark, of St Helier, father of six, Sergeant, Military Police Corps, killed when bomb detonated accidentally
- George Frederick Osmand (1900- ) Ordinary Seaman RN, HMS Caroline
- James Spencer Osmand (1899- ) Able Seamen RN, HMS Caroline
- Ernest Richard Osment (1886- ) (St H) son of Ernest and Maria, Private, RJGB
- Henry Charles Hope Osment (1899- ) (St H) son of Edwin Henry and Mary Edith Kellaway, Private, Somerset Light Infantry, wounded
These wills created by members of the Osment family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- George Osment of Shearborne, Dorset, now of Haimance House, Ann Street, St Helier - 7 November 1890, D/Y/A/49
- Henry Osment, 7 The Cottage, Mont Millais, St Helier, grocer - 22 January 1936, D/Y/A/98
- Ernest Osment, Campbell Cottage, Upper Clarendon Road, St Helier - 12 November 1943, D/Y/A/111
- Elisa Osmont - 21 March 1931, D/Y/A/91
- Ellen Osmont née Gibsone, Campbell Cottage, Upper Midvale Road, St Helier - 19 September 1945, D/Y/A/114
- Sophie Osmont, Clydeshill, Havre des Pas, St Helier, widow of Joseph Henry Randall - 4 November 1926, D/Y/A/86
- Philip Osmont, St Helier - 10 September 1914, D/Y/A/73
Family photograph album
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty George James Osmand at Bailleul Communal Cemetery