Perrot family page
Pierre Perrot, founder of the Chronique de Jersey
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This name is of French origin, and derives from the given name Pierre, from the Greek Petros, the masculine form of petra meaning 'rock'.
The addition of the diminutive suffixes "-et(t), -ot(t)" and "-it(t)" give rise to several variations, including Perrot. The surname was first recorded in the latter part of the 11th Century, William Peret most likely being a follower of William the Conqueror, who was granted lands in England. Other early recordings include Ralph Perot, a witness in the 1235 Fine Court Rolls of Essex; William Poret, recorded in the Subsidy Rolls of Yorkshire, dated 1301; and John Porrett, Perott or Parrett, listed in the Oxford University Register, dated 1520.
An interesting namebearer, recorded in the Dictionary of National Biography, was Robert Porrett (1783 - 1868), a chemist who discovered electric endosmosis in 1816.
The name first appears in the baptism register of St Brelade at the end of the 17th century, suggesting that Samuel, the father, was possibly a Huguenot refugee. The Perrots in the family tree below are another family, believed to be Huguenots arriving in Jersey via Ireland.
- de Perrot
- Le Perot, 1299
- Pierre Perrot, privateer, French prisoner of war, Constable of St Helier and Jurat
- Francois Perrot, Independent minister
- Clement Perrot, Independent minister and journalist
Great War service
Sons of Francois (1865- ) and Francoise, nee Riou (1871- )
- Francis John Perrot (1896- ) (St J) Private, RASC, blacksmith before war
- John Francis Perrot (1898- ) (St J) Private, Machine Gun Corps
These wills created by members of the Perrot family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Susanna Perrot wife of Francis Perrot minister of the Independent Church, St Helier 11 December 1819 - D/Y/A/19
- Eva Perrot, 113 Don Road - 22 November 1937, D/Y/A/101