Pitman family page
Lily Mary Ann Pitman (1870-1920) d of George and Elizabeth Le Gresley
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The original Pitman lived by a pit or quarry, or more probably worked in one. The word comes from the old English pyth.
The name first appeared in Jersey baptism records in St Martin in 1772, but it was from 1831 that a family began to establish in St Peter.
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Pitman family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Albert Pitman, 45½ Dorset Street, St Helier - 22 July 1932, D/Y/A/93
- Albert Pitman, St Helier - 8 April 1911, D/Y/A/70
- Ann Pitman, 39 Belmont Road, St Helier, spinster - 29 January 1921, D/Y/A/81
- Charles Pitman of Gloucestershire, England, now of St Clement - 4 August 1877, D/Y/A/39
- Edward Pitman, Stone Cottage, Claremont Hill, St Helier - 17 January 1930, D/Y/A/90
- Elizabeth Pitman, 3 Victoria Terrace, Mont Pinel, St Helier - 18 January 1939, D/Y/A/104
- Emma Pitman, 1 Claremont Hill, St Helier - 21 February 1918, D/Y/A/77
- Esther Pitman, St Helier - 29 March 1906, D/Y/A/65
Family photograph album
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs